Main Article Content
Phytosome, Tabernaemontana divaricata, antioxidant, lecithin, solvent evaporation
The objective of the present study was to prepare phytosomal formulation loaded with aqueous extract of Tabernaemontana divaricata fruits. The extraction of leaf powder was done by maceration technique using distilled water with an extraction yield of 7.97 %. The extract was found to contain alkaloids, and flavonoids and the total phenolic content was found to be 19.4 ± 0.623 %w/w. Phytosomes of the extract were prepared by solvent evaporation method using lecithin as the lipid molecule. The particle size of the phytosomes was from 596 nm to 1365 nm in size. The phytosomes were visible as rigid, almost spherical vesicles in SEM image. The surface of the phytosome vesicles was found to be regular and smooth. The point prediction suggested level 3 (0.3 g) of lipid concentration and level 1 (0.1 g) of extract concentration to present the lowest particle size. Sharp and distinct endothermic peaks in DSC revealed the formulation of stable phytosomes due to molecular interactions between the extract and lecithin. The phytosomes were found to possess good antioxidant action in DPPH assay with reference to the extract suggesting that phytosomal preparation retained the properties of the extract.
2. Deleanu M, Toma L, Sanda GM, ; Barbalat T, Niculescu LS, Deleanu C, Sacarescu L, Suciu A, Alexandru G, Cri¸san I, Popescu M, Stancu CS. Formulation of Phytosomes with Extracts of Ginger Rhizomes and Rosehips with Improved Bioavailability, Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Effects In Vivo. Pharmaceuticals; 2023; 15(4): 1066-1090.
3. Albalawi RS, Binmahfouz LS, Hareeri RH, Shaik RA, Bagher AM. Parthenolide Phytosomes Attenuated Gentamicin-Induced Nephrotoxicity in Rats via Activation of Sirt-1, Nrf2, OH-1, and NQO1 Axis. Molecules 2023; 28(6): 2741-2760.
4. Jelveh K, Mottaghitalab M, Mohammadi M. Effects of green tea phytosome on growth performance and intestinal integrity under coccidiosis infection challenge in broilers. Poultry Science 2023; 102(5): 102627-102638.
5. Wahyuni ST, Rahmasari D, Nugroho RS, Agusta I, Daminda RDK, Sundugesti RV, Ermawati D. Enhanced Antibacterial Activity of Piper betle Extract Niosome Serum Gel and Its Irritation Effects. ICMEDH 2nd International Conference on Medical Health Science 2023; 178-188.
6. Srivastava V, Navabharath M, Gupta S, Singh SV, Ahmad S. Exploration of Solanum xanthocarpum Schrad. & Wendl. Against Mycobacterium avium Subspecies paratuberculosis and Assessment of Its Immunomodulatory and Anti-Inﬂammatory Potential. Pharmaceuticals 2022; 15: 1367-1381.
7. Khanna R, Chauhan P. Formulation and evaluation of Annona squamosa hydroalcoholic extract loaded phytosomes. Journal of Pharmacology and Biomedicine, 2021; 5(3): 342-351.
8. https://www.efloraofgandhinagar.in/plantdetails.php?cateUrl=shrub&plantUrl=tabernaemontana-divaricata; assessed on 04/12/2022.
9. Khandelwal, K.R., 2005. Practical Pharmacognosy-Techniques and Experiments, 14th ed. NiraliPrakashan, Pune, pp. 153
10. Ahmad S. 2007. Pharmacognosy-Introduction of Plant Constituents and their Tests. 1-40. (Available at http://nsdl.niscair.res.in/handle/123456789/708 Accessed on 18 May 2021).
11. Singh J, Narwaria US (2021). Evaluation of anti-inflammatory action of Melaleuca bracteata F. Muell. leaf extract. Journal of Pharmacology and Biomedicine, 5, 3, 319-325
12. Karole S, Gautam GK, Gutpa S. Preparation and evaluation of phytosomes containing ethanolic extract of leaves of Bombax ceiba for hepatoprotective activity. The Pharma Innovation Journal 2019; 8(2): 22-26
13. Dhase AS, Saboo SS. Preparation and Evaluation of Phytosomes Containing Methanolic Extract of Leaves of Aegle Marmelos (Bael). International Journal of PharmTech Research 2015; 8(6): 231-240
14. Baraiya P, Chauhan P. Investigation of antioxidant potential of Petunia hybrida leaf extracts. Journal of Pharmacology and Biomedicine. 2021; 5(4): 415-421