Main Article Content
Aerosols, dentistry, dental operatory, COVID-19
COVID-19 affected healthcare professionals globally and especially dentists. This vulnerable disease transmits through contact and is airborne. Most of the dental procedures are aerosol generated and these aerosols in dental practice tend to transmit acute respiratory infections like COVID-19. Recently there are a few authors who recommended the use of the aerosol box to reduce the aerosol count in the dental setting. However, the purpose of the manuscript was to describe and recommend a reformed aerosol box design with a stand to practice safe dentistry.
2. Izzetti R, Nisi M, Gabriele M, Graziani F. COVID-19 Transmission in Dental Practice: Brief Review of Preventive Measures in Italy. J Dent Res. 2020 Aug;99(9):1030-1038.
3. Mallineni SK, Innes N, Raggio D, Araujo M, Robertson M, Jayaraman J. Coronavirus disease (COVID‐ 19): Characteristics in children and considerations for dentists providing their care. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2020; 30:245-250.
4. Bhumireddy JC, Mallineni SK, Nuvvula S. Challenges and possible solutions in dental practice during and post COVID-19. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2020;7:1-3.
5. King TB, Muzzin KB, Berry CW, Anders LM. The effectiveness of an aerosol reduction device for ultrasonic scalers. J Periodontol. 1997; 68:45-49.
6. Peng X, Xu X, Li Y, Cheng L, Zhou X, Ren B. Transmission routes of 2019-nCoV and controls in dental practice. Int J Oral Sci.2020; 12:9. 10.1038/s41368-020-0075-9
7. Smales FC, Samaranyake LP. Maintaining dental education and specialist dental care during an outbreak of a new coronavirus infection. Part 2: Control of the disease, then elimination. Br Dent J. 2003; 195:679-681.
8. Babu B, Gupta S, Sahni V. Aerosol box for dentistry. Br Dent J. 2020; 28:660.
9. Aldhuwayhi S, Mallineni SK, Sakhamuri S, Thakare AA, Mallineni S, Sajja R, Sethi M, Nettam V, Mohammad AM. Covid-19 Knowledge and Perceptions Among Dental Specialists: A Cross-Sectional Online Questionnaire Survey. Risk Manag Healthc Policy. 2021 Jul 7;14:2851-2861.
10. Almulhim B, Alassaf A, Alghamdi S, Alroomy R, Aldhuwayhi S, Aljabr A, Mallineni SK. Dentistry Amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic: Knowledge, Attitude, and Practices Among the Saudi Arabian Dental Students. Front Med (Lausanne). 2021 Apr 7;8:654524.
11. Ismail A, Ismail NH, Abu Kassim NYM, Lestari W, Ismail AF, Sukotjo C. Knowledge, Perceived Risk, and Preventive Behaviors amidst Covid-19 Pandemic among Dental Students in Malaysia. Dent J (Basel). 2021 Dec 14;9(12):151.
12. Mallineni SK, Nuvvula S, Bhumireddy JC, Ismail AF, Verma P, Sajja R, Alassaf A, Almulhim B, Alghamdi S, Saha A, Goyal V, Namineni S. Knowledge and Perceptions Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) among Pediatric Dentists during Lockdown Period. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021 Dec 25;19(1):209.
13. Babu B, Gupta S, Sahni V. Aerosol box for dentistry. Br Dent J. 2020 May;228(9):660. doi: 10.1038/s41415-020-1598-3. PMID: 32385437.
14. Fong S, Li E, Violato E, Reid A, Gu Y. Impact of aerosol box on intubation during COVID-19: a simulation study of normal and difficult airways. Can J Anaesth. 2021 Apr;68(4):496-504.
15. Querney J, Cubillos J, Ding Y, Cherry R, Armstrong K. Patient barrier acceptance during airway management among anesthesiologists: a simulation pilot study. Korean J Anesthesiol. 2021 Jun;74(3):254-261.
16. Ahmed MA, Jouhar R. Dissemination of aerosol and splatter in clinical environment during cavity preparation: An in vitro study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021 Apr 4;18(7):3773.