Main Article Content
Hyperimmunoglobulinemia/ Immunoglobulin E/ pulmonary/ bronchiectasis
Hyperimmunoglobulinemia E Syndrome (HIES) is a medical condition that can be sporadic or inherited. It consists of multiple overlapping primary immunodeficiencies and is characterized by a classic triad of elevated immunoglobulin E (IgE) levels, recurrent pneumonias, and skin abscesses. The prevalence of this pathology is 1/1,000,000 live births.
Objective: To describe the clinical case of a patient with Hyper IgE Syndrome who presented in adolescence with skin and respiratory conditions.
Methodology: observational-descriptive study with the report of a clinical case whose discussion was accompanied by pertinent bibliography on the subject. Articles were searched in scientific databases such as PubMed, Elsevier and Springer, taking into account only those articles in English and Spanish, with years of edition after 2018, and that belong to quartiles 1-4. In this work, we report the case of a 22-year-old male patient who was admitted to the pulmonology clinic with a productive yellowish cough of one month accompanied by dyspnea, after performing diagnostic imaging tests, bronchiectasis was obtained as findings, so the etiological investigation of the same was initiated and after this the diagnosis of Hyperimmunoglobulinemia E Syndrome was made.
2. Peirolo A, Verolet C, Ranza E, Rohr M, Laurent M, Ruchonnet-Metrailler I, et al. Hyper-IgE syndrome presenting with early life craniosynostosis in monozygotic twin sisters. Pediatr Allergy Immunol Off Publ Eur Soc Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2023; 34(4):E13944.
3. Gharehzadehshirazi A, Amini A, Rezaei N. Hyper IgE syndromes: A clinical approach. Clin Immunol. 2022;237:108988.
4. Tsilifis C, Freeman AF, Gennery AR. STAT3 Hyper-IgE Syndrome—an Update and Unanswered Questions. J Clin Immunol. 2021; 41(5):864-80.
5. Zhao R, Wang C, Sun C, Jiang K, Wu S, Pan F, et al. A Novel STAT3 Mutation in a Patient with Hyper-IgE Syndrome Diagnosed with a Severe Necrotizing Pulmonary Infection. J Asthma Allergy. 2021;14:219-27.
6. Qiu MZ, Zhang H, Wu D, Chen RC, Chen SZ, Wang LW. [Hyper-IgE syndrome in adults characterized by disseminated mixed infection: a case report and literature review]. Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi Zhonghua Jiehe He Huxi Zazhi Chin J Tuberc Respir Dis. 2022; 45(6):546-51.
7. Romano R, Borrelli M, Cirillo E, Giardino G, Spadaro G, Crescenzi L, et al. Respiratory Manifestations in Primary Immunodeficiencies: Findings From a Pediatric and Adult Cohort. Arch Bronconeumol. 2021; 57(11):712-4.
8. Bergerson JRE, Freeman AF. An Update on Syndromes with a Hyper-IgE Phenotype. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2019; 39(1):49-61.
9. Kasuga K, Nakamoto K, Doi K, Kurokawa N, Saraya T, Ishii H. Chronic pulmonary aspergillosis in a patient with hyper-IgE syndrome. Respirol Case Rep. 2022; 10(1):E0887.
10. Tavassoli M, Abolhassani H, Yazdani R, Ghadami M, Azizi G, Abdolrahim Poor Heravi S, et al. The first cohort of Iranian patients with hyper immunoglobulin E syndrome: A long-term follow-up and genetic analysis. Pediatr Allergy Immunol Off Publ Eur Soc Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2019; 30(4):469-78.
11. Mayne. [Hyper IgE syndrome: atopic dermatitis as first manifestation. Case report] - PubMed [Internet]. [cited 2023 Sep 4]. Available in: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34309321/
12. Bhutani N, Sharma U, Kumar A, Kajal P. Pediatric hyperimmunoglobulin E syndrome (Job's syndrome) with STAT3 mutation: A case report. Ann Med Surg. 2021;66:102452.
13. Cedano J, Bendaram SR, Ejikeme C. HYPERIMMUNOGLOBULIN E SYNDROME ASSOCIATED WITH PULMONARY ABSCESS IN PATIENT STATUS POST PNEUMONECTOMY: COMPLICATED "JOB". CHEST. 2020; 158(4):A1995.
14. Shimizu D, Otani S, Sugimoto S, Yamamoto H, Tomioka Y, Shiotani T, et al. Lung Transplantation for Bronchiectasis Due to Hyperimmunoglobulin E Syndrome. Ann Thorac Surg.2022; 113(4):E251-3.
15. Toribio-Dionicio C, Cubas-Guzmán D, Guerra-Canchari P, García-Sánchez V, Córdova-Calderón W. Pulmonary Infections and Surgical Complications in a Young Girl with Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription 3 Loss-of-Function Mutation Hyperimmunoglobulin E Syndrome: A Case Report. Pediatr Allergy Immunol Pulmonol. 2021; 34(1):33-7.
16. Cross‐Portelles A, Estopiñan‐Zuñiga D. A new case of Job's syndrome at the clinic: A diagnostic challenge. Pulmonology. 2014; 20(2):107-10.