Main Article Content
Patient Safety, Nursing Education, Innovative Teaching Methods, Cultural Considerations, Educational Interventions, Ethical Education, Culture of Safety
Background: The paramount concern of ensuring patient safety in healthcare has led to a critical examination of strategies and approaches employed in nursing education. This systematic review delves into the effectiveness of these strategies and approaches in bolstering patient safety within the nursing profession.
Aim: The primary aim of this systematic review is to uncover, evaluate, and analyze the effective strategies and approaches that have been harnessed in nursing education to elevate patient safety standards.
Method: Employing a meticulous systematic review approach, a comprehensive search of relevant databases and registers was conducted. This extensive review led to the identification of prevalent themes, sub-themes, and emerging trends within the realm of patient safety in nursing education.
Results: The review illuminated several key findings. Innovative teaching methods, including simulation-based learning and the integration of storytelling, have demonstrated efficacy in enhancing patient safety education. The influence of cultural and regional disparities on patient safety practices underscored the need for context-specific educational strategies. Furthermore, the integration of evidence-based educational interventions, ethical considerations, and the cultivation of a culture rooted in safety within nursing education were recognized as vital components in shaping competent and ethically conscientious nursing professionals who prioritize patient safety.
Conclusion: This systematic review underscores the multifaceted nature of strategies and approaches deployed in nursing education to enhance patient safety. The findings highlight the importance of dynamic, culturally responsive, and evidence-driven approaches in preparing the healthcare workforce of the future, equipped with the knowledge and dedication required to champion patient safety across diverse healthcare settings.
2. Alharbi, N. S., Youssef, H. A., Felemban, E. M., Alqarni, S. S., Alharbi, N. M., Alsayed, A. A. O., ... & Shahbal, S. (2022). Saudi Emergency Nurses Preparedness For Biological Disaster Management At The Governmental Hospitals. Journal of Positive School Psychology, 6(9), 1218-1235.
3. Andersen, P., Downer, T., Spencer, A., & Willcocks, K. (2020). Using observational simulation teaching methods in professional development to address patient safety. Collegian, 27(2), 207-212.
4. Andersen, P., Guinea, S., Reid-Searl, K., & Levett-Jones, T. (2021). Designing tag team patient safety simulation: An instructional design approach. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 59, 1-9.
5. Aouicha, W., Tlili, M. A., Sahli, J., Mtiraoui, A., Ajmi, T., Said Latiri, H., ... & Mallouli, M. (2022). Patient safety culture as perceived by operating room professionals: a mixed-methods study. BMC Health Services Research, 22(1), 1-12.
6. Bressan, V., Mio, M., & Palese, A. (2020). Nursing handovers and patient safety: Findings from an umbrella review. Journal of advanced nursing, 76(4), 927-938.
7. Cantero-López, N., González-Chordá, V. M., Valero-Chillerón, M. J., Mena-Tudela, D., Andreu-Pejó, L., Vila-Candel, R., & Cervera-Gasch, Á. (2021). Attitudes of undergraduate nursing students towards patient safety: A quasi-experimental study. International journal of environmental research and public health, 18(4), 1429.
8. Dacanay, A. P., Sibrian, J., Wyllie, C., Sorrentino, E., & Dunbar, G. (2021). Can you escape sepsis? Using a healthcare escape room as an innovative approach to nursing education. Clinical Nurse Specialist, 35(2), 65-72.
9. Dimitriadou, M., Merkouris, A., Charalambous, A., Lemonidou, C., & Papastavrou, E. (2021). The knowledge about patient safety among undergraduate nurse students in Cyprus and Greece: a comparative study. BMC nursing, 20(1), 110.
10. Doyon, O., & Raymond, L. (2023). Surveillance and patient safety in nursing research: A bibliometric analysis from 1993 to 2023. Journal of Advanced Nursing.
11. Gleason, K. T., Commodore-Mensah, Y., Wu, A. W., Kearns, R., Pronovost, P., Aboumatar, H., & Himmelfarb, C. R. D. (2021). Massive open online course (MOOC) learning builds capacity and improves competence for patient safety among global learners: A prospective cohort study. Nurse Education Today, 104, 104984.
12. Granel, N., Manresa-Domínguez, J. M., Watson, C. E., Gómez-Ibáñez, R., & Bernabeu-Tamayo, M. D. (2020). Nurses’ perceptions of patient safety culture: a mixed-methods study. BMC Health Services Research, 20(1), 1-9.
13. Habahbeh, A. A., & Alkhalaileh, M. A. (2020). Effect of an educational programme on the attitudes towards patient safety of operation room nurses. British Journal of Nursing, 29(4), 222-228.
14. Honkavuo, L. (2021). Ethics simulation in nursing education: Nursing students' experiences. Nursing ethics, 28(7-8), 1269-1281.
15. Huang, H., Chen, J., Xiao, M., Cao, S., & Zhao, Q. (2020). Experiences and responses of nursing students as second victims of patient safety incidents in a clinical setting: A mixed‐methods study. Journal of Nursing Management, 28(6), 1317-1325.
16. Jefferies, D., Glew, P., Karhani, Z., McNally, S., & Ramjan, L. M. (2021). The educational benefits of drama in nursing education: A critical literature review. Nurse Education Today, 98, 104669.
17. Karlowicz, K. A. (2023). Storytelling: An Authentic Approach to Patient Safety Nursing Education. Nurse Educator, 10-1097.
18. Lahariya, C., Gupta, S., Kumar, G., De Graeve, H., Parkash, I., & Das, J. K. (2020). Patient safety in graduate curricula and training needs of health workforce in India: A mixed-methods study. Indian Journal of Public Health, 64(3), 277-284.
19. Lee, S. E., & Dahinten, V. S. (2023). Evaluating a patient safety course for undergraduate nursing students: A quasi-experimental study. Collegian, 30(1), 75-83.
20. Lee, S. E., Dathinten, V. S., & Do, H. (2020). Patient safety education in pre‐registration nursing programmes in South Korea. International Nursing Review, 67(4), 512-518.
21. Lee, S. E., Morse, B. L., & Kim, N. W. (2022). Patient safety educational interventions: A systematic review with recommendations for nurse educators. Nursing Open, 9(4), 1967-1979.
22. Mitchell, A., & Assadi, G. (2021). Using simulation exercises to improve student skills and patient safety. British Journal of Nursing, 30(20), 1198-1202.
23. Mugerwa, P. P., Jordan, P., van der Heever, M., Young, T., & Iwu-Jaja, C. J. (2021). Patient safety education for undergraduate nursing students: a scoping review protocol. JBI Evidence Synthesis, 19(11), 3073-3079.
24. Nora, C. R. D., Maffacciolli, R., Vieira, L. B., Beghetto, M. G., Leites, C., & Ness, M. I. (2022). Ethics and patient safety in nursing education. Revista Bioética, 30, 619-627.
25. Noshili, A. I., Batool, R., Najmi, A. A., Najmi, M. A., Abiri, H. M. A., Khubrani, F. Y. G., ... & Hamzi, J. M. (2022). Relationship Between Personality Trait, And Mental Health Well-Being, The Mediating Role Of Emotional Intelligence Among Healthcare Workers In Jizan, KSA. Journal of Positive School Psychology, 6(10), 1833-1851.
26. Ocloo, J., Garfield, S., Franklin, B. D., & Dawson, S. (2021). Exploring the theory, barriers and enablers for patient and public involvement across health, social care and patient safety: a systematic review of reviews. Health research policy and systems, 19, 1-21.
27. Özbay, Ö., & Çınar, S. (2021). Effectiveness of flipped classroom teaching models in nursing education: A systematic review. Nurse Education Today, 102, 104922.
28. Rocha, R. C., Avelino, F. V. S. D., Borges, J. W. P., Araújo, A. A. C., Bezerra, M. A. R., & Nunes, B. M. V. T. (2023). Nursing technicians’ professional training in patient safety: A mixed-methods study. Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem, 31.
29. Rocha, R. C., Bezerra, M. A. R., Martins, B. D. M. B., & Nunes, B. M. V. T. (2021). Teaching patient safety in nursing: integrative review. Enfermería Global, 20(4), 730-742.
30. Ropero-Padilla, C., González-Chordá, V. M., Mena-Tudela, D., Roman, P., Cervera-Gasch, Á., & Rodriguez-Arrastia, M. (2022). Root cause analysis for understanding patient safety incidents in nursing student placements: A qualitative content analysis. Nurse Education in Practice, 65, 103462.
31. Sarıtaş, E., & Baykara, Z. G. (2023). The effect of flipped learning approach on nursing students' learning of patient safety: A randomized controlled trial. Nurse Education in Practice, 72, 103742.
32. Shahbal, S., Al-Kubaisi, H., Khan, A., Ahmad, Z., & Usman, M. (2022). Leadership Styles, Role, And Opportunities; Reflection in Educational Management System. Journal of Pharmaceutical Negative Results, 1452-1460.
33. Sherwood, G. (2021). Quality and safety education for nurses: making progress in patient safety, learning from COVID-19. International journal of nursing sciences, 8(3), 249.
34. Sherwood, G., & Barnsteiner, J. (Eds.). (2021). Quality and safety in nursing: A competency approach to improving outcomes. John Wiley & Sons.
35. Slawomirski, L., & Klazinga, N. (2022). The economics of patient safety: from analysis to action.
36. Smart, D., Ross, K., Carollo, S., & Williams-Gilbert, W. (2020). Contextualizing instructional technology to the demands of nursing education. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 38(1), 18-27.
37. Song, M. O., Yun, S. Y., & Jang, A. (2023). Patient Safety Error Reporting Education for Undergraduate Nursing Students: A Scoping Review. Journal of Nursing Education, 62(9), 489-494.
38. Sousa, P., Paiva, S. G., Lobão, M. J., Van-Innis, A. L., Pereira, C., & Fonseca, V. (2022). Contributions to the Portuguese National Plan for Patient Safety 2021–2026: A Robust Methodology Based on the Mixed-Method Approach. Portuguese Journal of Public Health, 39(3), 175-192.
39. Stovall, M., Hansen, L., & van Ryn, M. (2020). A critical review: Moral injury in nurses in the aftermath of a patient safety incident. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 52(3), 320-328.
40. Ting, J., Garnett, A., & Donelle, L. (2021). Nursing education and training on electronic health record systems: An integrative review. Nurse Education in Practice, 55, 103168.
41. Tlili, M. A., Aouicha, W., Sahli, J., Ben Cheikh, A., Mtiraoui, A., Ajmi, T., ... & Mallouli, M. (2022). Assessing patient safety culture in 15 intensive care units: a mixed-methods study. BMC Health Services Research, 22(1), 274.
42. Vaismoradi, M., Tella, S., A. Logan, P., Khakurel, J., & Vizcaya-Moreno, F. (2020). Nurses’ adherence to patient safety principles: A systematic review. International journal of environmental research and public health, 17(6), 2028.