Main Article Content
NEW TRAINING MODEL, CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGISTS
A new training model for critical appraisal in therapeutics is presented. Postgraduate trainees in Clinical Pharmacology are assigned to critically appraise scientific papers that faculty members were asked to review by Journals. The manuscripts were discussed in group rounds, allowing teaching of all aspects of therapeutics research. Formal evaluation of this model by trainees revealed high marks for “critical thinking”, “learning study design”, and “how to write / not to write”
2. Mitchell JR, Graham Smith DG. Academic pursuits in clinical pharmacology, research emphasis. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1983;39:471-3.
3. Burris JF. Criteria for certification in clinical pharmacology. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1988;43:701.4. h ttp://www.paeds.utoront o .ca/Page 1254.as px
5. h ttp://www.rcpsc.medical.org/information / i ndex.p h p ? s p ecialt y
7. Gonzalez MD, Rosa IR, Saavedra GF, Sandoval- Gonzalez G, Cespedes-Cortez C, Figueroa- Hernandez JL, Martinez-Viniegra N. Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico City 04510. Proc West Pharmacol Soc 2004;47:125-8.
8. Langford NJ, Landray M, Martin U, Kendall MJ, Ferner RE. Testing the practical aspects of therapeutics by objective structured clinical examination. J Clin Pharm Ther 2004;29:263-6.
9. French ED. Academic Pharmacologists: Confronting New Challenges in Educational Programs of Graduate and Health Care Professionals. J of
Pharmacol Exp Ther 2004;10:1124.
10. Farre M, Bosch F, Roset PN, Banos JE. Putting clinical pharmacology in context: the use of popular movies. J Clin Pharmacol 2004;44:30-6.
11. Herzig S, Linke RM, Marxen B, Borner U, Antepohl W. Long-term follow up of factual knowledge after a single, randomized problem- based learning course. BMC Med Educ 2003;3:3.
12. Malhotra S, Shafiq N, Chandra KK, Pandhi P, Grover A. Study design and rationale of a mock phase I trial as an educational tool for clinical pharmacology residents. Contemp Clin Trials 2006;27:183-7.