Main Article Content
Meconium, fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, fatty acid ethyl esters, screening
The Canadian Association of Pediatric Health Centres, working in partnership with the Public Health Agency of Canada has recently published a toolkit to guide screening for identification of risk of FAS/FASD. One of the tools highlighted is the testing of meconium for fatty acid ethyl esters to identify high risk pregnancies and to support associated prevention programs. This paper describes the conclusions of a workshop held in Prince Edward Island in September 2011 to discuss key issues surrounding the wider deployment of meconium testing for assessment of population risk for FAS/FASD.
2. Hutson JR, Rao C, Fulga N, Aleksa K, Koren G. An improved method for rapidly quantifying fatty acid ethyl esters in meconium suitable for prenatal alcohol screening. Alcohol 2011;45:193-9.
3. Gareri J, Lynn H, Handley M, Rao C, Koren G. Prevalence of fetal ethanol exposure in a regional population-based sample by meconium analysis of fatty acid ethyl esters. Ther Drug Monit. 2008; 30(2):239-45.
4. World Health Organization. Principles and practice of screening for disease. Wilson JMG, Jungner G. Public Health Papers No. 34, Geneva 1968. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/php/WHO_PHP_34.pd f
5. Koren G, Hutson J, Gareri J. Novel methods for the detection of drug and alcohol exposure during pregnancy: implications for maternal and child health. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2008 Apr;83(4):631-4.
6. Dickens B. Legal and ethical considerations in meconium testing for fetal alcohol exposure. J Pop Ther Clin Pharmacol 2011;18:e471-4.
7. Stade B, Ali A, Bennett D, Campbell D, Johnston M, Lens C, Tran S, Koren G. The burden of prenatal exposure to alcohol: revised measurement of cost. Can J Clin Pharmacol 2009;16(1):e91-102
8. Zelner I, Koren G. Universal or targeted screening for fetal alcohol exposure: a costeffectiveness analysis. Ther Drug Monit. 2009;31(2):170-2
9. Canadian Association of Pediatric Health Centres Knowledge Exchange Network. FASD screening tool kit webinar series. May 4, 2011. http://ken.caphc.org/xwiki/bin/view/FASDScreeningToolkit/Fetal+Alcohol+Spectrum+Disorder +-+Introduction+to+Screening