Main Article Content
Early childhood caries, Fissure sealants, Preventive Dentistry
Introduction: Early childhood caries affects children and their oral tissues. The methods applicable for the prevention of early childhood caries at a global level are still a long way ahead. Children who display early ECC symptoms, have inadequate dental hygiene, receive minimal fluoride treatment, and are frequently exposed to sugary snacks and beverages are considered high-risk.
Objective: The study aims to assess the effectiveness of fissure sealants in reducing childhood caries incidence among the Pakistani population.
Material and Methods: This comparative study was conducted in one of the Hospitals in Pakistan from June 2022 to December 2022. Almost 120 children belonging to age group 2-5 years were randomly selected for the evaluation procedure. Data was analyzed by using SPSS 23.0.
Results: The results of the study revealed that group of children belonging to the age group 2 to 5 years, the retention rate was 100% after two months, 100% after four months, 88% after six months, 96% after eight months, and 94% after ten months.
Conclusion: The study proved that fissure sealants are effective in reducing early childhood caries.
2. Dawani N, Nisar N, Khan N, Syed S, Tanweer N. Prevalence and factors related to dental caries among pre-school children of Saddar town, Karachi, Pakistan: a cross-sectional study. BMC oral health. 2012 Dec;12(1):1-9. http://doi:10.1186/1472-6831-12-59. PMID: 23270546; PMCID: PMC3543838
3. Liu F, Yang K, Wang P, Wu T, Li J, Guo Q. Trends, characteristics, and success rates of treatment for severe early childhood caries under general anesthesia: a retrospective study in Northwest China. Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry. 2021 Oct 1;45(4):278-83. http://doi:10.17796/1053-4625-45.4.11. PMID: 34534298
4. Seow WK. Early childhood caries. Pediatric Clinics. 2018 Oct 1;65(5):941-54. http://doi:10.1016/j.pcl.2018.05.004. PMID: 30213355.
5. Al-Ansari AA. Prevalence, severity, and secular trends of dental caries among various Saudi populations: a literature review. Saudi Journal of Medicine & Medical Sciences. 2014 Dec 1;2(3):142-50.
6. Alshunaiber, Renad, Haya Alzaid, Shahad Meaigel, Arwa Aldeeri, and Abdallah Adlan. "Early childhood caries and infant’s oral health; pediatricians’ and family physicians’ practice, knowledge and attitude in Riyadh city, Saudi Arabia." The Saudi Dental Journal 31 (2019): S96-S105. http://doi:10.1016/j.sdentj.2019.01.006. Epub 2019 Feb 1. PMID: 31061610; PMCID: PMC6488750.
7. Wulaerhan J, Abudureyimu A, Bao XL, Zhao J. Risk determinants associated with early childhood caries in Uygur children: a preschool-based cross-sectional study. BMC oral health. 2014 Dec;14:1-8. http://doi:10.1186/1472-6831-14-136. PMID: 25407041; PMCID: PMC4242481.
8. Veiga NJ, Pereira CM, Ferreira PC, Correia IJ. Prevalence of dental caries and fissure sealants in a Portuguese sample of adolescents. PloS one. 2015 Mar 24;10(3):e0121299. http://doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0121299. PMID: 25803849; PMCID: PMC4372347.
9. Godhane A, Ukey A, Tote JV, Das G, Naphde M, Patil P. Use of pit and fissure sealant in prevention of dental caries in pediatric dentistry and recent advancement: A review. Int J Dent Med Res. 2015;1(6):220-3.
10. Ramamurthy P, Rath A, Sidhu P, Fernandes B, Nettem S, Fee PA, Zaror C, Walsh T. Sealants for preventing dental caries in primary teeth. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2022(2). http://doi:10.1002/14651858.CD012981.pub2. PMID: 35146744; PMCID: PMC8832104
11. Sogi HS, Hugar SM, Nalawade TM, Sinha A, Hugar S, Mallikarjuna RM. Knowledge, attitude, and practices of oral health care in the prevention of early childhood caries among parents of children in Belagavi city: A Questionnaire study. Journal of family medicine and primary care. 2016 Apr;5(2):286. http://doi:10.4103/2249-4863.192332. PMID: 27843829; PMCID: PMC5084549.
12. Canga M, Malagnino G, Malagnino VA, Malagnino I. Effectiveness of Sealants Treatment in Permanent Molars: A Longitudinal Study. International Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry. 2021 Jan;14(1):41. http://doi:10.5005/jp-journals-10005-1878. PMID: 34326582; PMCID: PMC8311774.
13. Silva VB, Carvalho RN, Bergstrom TG, Santos TM, Lopes RT, Neves AD. Sealing Carious Fissures with Resin Infiltrant in Association with a Flowable Composite Reduces Immediate Microleakage. Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada. 2020 May 29;20.
14. İnci MA, Özer H, Koç M. Retrospective evaluation of fissure sealants applied by dentistry students. International Dental Research. 2022 Dec 31;12(Suppl. 1):59-64.
15. Wright JT, Crall JJ, Fontana M, Gillette EJ, Nový BB, Dhar V, Donly K, Hewlett ER, Quinonez RB, Chaffin J, Crespin M. Evidence-based clinical practice guideline for the use of pit-and-fissure sealants: a report of the American Dental Association and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 2016 Aug 1;147(8):672-82. http://doi:10.1016/j.adaj.2016.06.001. PMID: 27470525.] http://doi:10.1016/j.adaj.2016.06.001. PMID: 27470525
16. Al-Sabri FA, El-Marakby AM, Mourshed BD, Palakurthy KS, Salah N, Qaed NA. Efficiency of fissure sealants in dental caries prevention among young school children. A comparative evaluation. Int J Med Dent. 2017 Jan 1;7(4):271-8.
17. Prabakar J, John J, Arumugham IM, Kumar RP, Sakthi DS. Comparative evaluation of the viscosity and length of resin tags of conventional and hydrophilic pit and fissure sealants on permanent molars: An In vitro study. Contemporary clinical dentistry. 2018 Jul;9(3):388. http://doi:10.4103/ccd.ccd_131_18. PMID: 30166832; PMCID: PMC6104359.
18. Dhanalakshmi V. Comparative Evaluation of Marginal Sealing Ability of Two Materials Used as Pit and Fissure Sealants using Dye Penetration Method: An Invitro study (Doctoral dissertation, Chettinad Dental College & Research Institute, Kanchipuram).