Main Article Content
Fetal alcohol syndrome, life expectancy
To estimate the life expectancy and specify the causes of death among people with fetal alcohol synd rome (FAS ).
Included were all patients recorded in Alberta provincial databases of inpatients, outpatients, or practitioner claims from 2003 to 2012. People with FAS were identified by ICD -9 code 760.71 and ICD - 10 codes Q86.0 and P04.3, and were linked to the Vital Statistics Death Registry to get information about mortality. Life expectancy was estimated by using the life table template developed in the United Kingdom, which is recommended for estimating life expectancy in small areas or populations.
The life expectancy at birth of people with FAS was 34 years (95% confidence interval: 31 to 37 years), which was about 42 % of that of the general population. The leading causes of death for people with FAS were “external causes” (44%) , which include suicide (15%), accidents (14%), poisoning by illegal drugs or alcohol (7%), and other external causes (7%). Other common causes of death were diseases of the nervous and respiratory systems (8% each), diseases of the digestive system (7%), c ongenital malformations (7%), mental and behavioural disorders (4%), and diseases of the circulatory system (4%).
The life expectancy of people with FAS is considerably lower than that of the general population. As the cause of FAS is known and preventable, more attention devoted to the prevention of FAS is urgently needed.
2. Stratton K, Howe CJ, Battaglia FC. Fetal alcohol syndrome: diagnosis, epidemiology, pr evention, and treatment. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1996.
3. Streissguth AP, Bookstein FL, Barr HM, et al. Risk factors for adverse life outcomes in fetal alcohol syndrome and fetal alcohol effects. J Dev and Behav Pediatr 2004;25(4):228 -38.
4. Than h NX, Jonsson E, Costs of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder in the Canadian Criminal Justice System. J Popul Ther Clin Pharmacol 2015;22(1):e125 -31.
5. Thanh NX, Jonsson E, Salmon A, and Sebastianski M. Incidence and Prevalence of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorde r by Sex and Age Group in Alberta, Canada. J Popul Ther Clin Pharmacol 2014:21(3):e395 -e404.
6. Thanh NX, Jonsson E, Sebastianski. Epidemiology of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder: evidence from Alberta health administrative databases. IHE report 2013, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
7. Nordentoft M , Wahlbeck K , Hällgren J , Westman J, Osby U , Alinaghizadeh H , Gissler M , Laursen TM . Excess mortality, causes of death and life expectancy in 270,770 patients with recent onset of mental disorders in Denmark, Finland and Sweden. PLoS One. 2013;8(1):e55176.
8. Wahlbeck K , Westman J , Nordentoft M , Gissler M , Laursen TM . Outcomes of Nordic mental health systems: life expectancy of patients with mental disorder s. Br J Psychiatry. 2011 Dec;199(6):453 -8.
9. Dalsgaard S, Ostergaard SD , Leckman JF , Mortensen PB , Pedersen MG . Mortality in children, adolescents, and adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a nationwide cohort study. The Lancet 2015 Feb 26 [Epub ahead of print].
10. Patja K, Iivanainen M, Vesala H, Oksanen H , Ruoppila I. Life expectancy of people with intellectual disability: a 35 -year follow -up study. Jour nal of Intellectual Disability Research 2000;44(5):591 -9.
11. World Health Organization. International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision. Available at http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd10/browse/20 15/en (A ccessed on April 29, 2015).
12. Alberta Health. Overview of Administrative Health Databases. Available: www.health.alberta.ca/documents/Research - Health -Databases.pdf (A ccessed on September 12, 2012).
13. Service Alberta. Death information. Available at http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/657.cfm (A ccessed on April 30, 2015).
14. The National Office for Statistics (NOS). Publications. Available at http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/2011082 4130629/http://www.statistics.gov.uk/statbase/ssda taset.asp?vlnk=6949 (Accessed on March 9, 2016).
15. Eayres D , Williams ES. Evaluation of methodologies for small area life expectancy estimation. J Epidemiol Community Health 2004;58:243– 249.
16. CBC News. Life expectancy hits 80.4 years: Statistics Canada . Available at http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/life -expectancy - hits -80-4-years -statistics -canada- 1.739030 (Acc essed on April 30, 2015) .
17. Statistics Canada. Life expectancy at birth, by sex, by province. Available at http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables -tableaux/sum - som/l01/cst01/health26 -eng.htm (A ccessed on April 29, 2015).
18. Statistics Canada. Life tables, Canada, Provinces and Territ ories. Available at http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/84 -537 - x/2013005/tbl -eng.htm (A ccessed on April 29, 2015).
19. Eyman RK, Grossman HJ, Chaney RH, Call TL. The life expectancy of profoundly handicapped people with mental retardation. N Engl J Med. 1990 Aug 30;323(9):584 -9.
20. Strauss D, Brooks J, Rosenbloom L , Shavelle R. Life expectancy in cerebral palsy: an update. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 2008;50:487 -93.
21. Thanh NX , Jonsson E , Moffatt J , Dennett L . Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder --poverty trap? J Popul Ther Clin Pharmacol. 2013;20(1):e63 -6.
22. Statistics Canada. Ten leading causes of death, by sex and geography, 2008 - Alberta. A vailable at : http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/84 -215 - x/2011001/tbl/t022 -eng.htm (A ccessed on February 12, 2016).
23. CDC. Use of International Classification of Diseases Coding to Ident ify Fetal Alcohol Syndrome - Indian Health Service Facilities, 1981 - 1992. MMWR April 07, 1995, 44(13) :253 -255, 261. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00 036711.htm (Acc essed on April 30, 2015).