Main Article Content
TERATOGENIC RISK, WOMEN
Because of increased anxieties of drug-induced congenital malformations, women and physician alike fear drug therapy in pregnancy even in life-threatening situations. The goal of counseling women on their teratogenic risk is to present to them an accurate, up-to-date estimate of their benefit to risk ratio. However, the same data may be received and interpreted very differently by different patients, leading them to individual conclusions and finally to the decision to continue or terminate pregnancy.
2. Shairn RN. A cross-cultural history of abortion. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1986; 13: 1-17.
3. Berbie AB, Elias S. Amniocentesis for antenatal diagnosis of genetic defects. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1980; 7: 5-12.
4. Trichopoulos D, Zavitsanos X, Koutis C, Drogani P, Proukakis C, Petridous E. The victims of Chernobyl in Greece: Induced abortions after the addicent. Br Med J 1987; 295: 1100.
5. Koren G. Maternal-Fetal Toxicology – A Clinician’s Guide. 2nd Edition, Revised and Expanded. New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc. 1994.
6. Bentur Y, Horlatsch N, Koren G. Exposure to ionizing radiation during pregnancy: Perception of teratogenic risk and outcome. Teratology 1991; 43: 109-112.
7. Koren G, Bologa M, Long D, Feldman Y, Shear N. Perception of teratogenic risk by pregnant women exposed to drugs and chemicals during the first trimester. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1989; 160: 1190-4.
8. Lenz W. Thalidomide embryopathy in Germany: 1959- 1961. Prog Clin Biol Res 1985; 163c: 77- 83.
9. Schardein JL. Chemically induced birth defects. New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc. 1985.
10. Mazzotta P, Magee L, Maltepe C, Lifshitz A, Navioz Y, Koren G. The perception of teratogenic risk by women with nausea and vomiting of pregnancy. Reprod Toxicol 1999; 13: 313 -319.
11. Gunderson SA, Martinez LP, Carey JC, Kochenon NK, Emergy MG. Critical review of articles regarding pregnancy exposures in popular magazines. Proceedings of the 26th Teratology Society Meeting, Boston, 1986; Abstract 88.
12. Scher J. Will my baby be normal? How to make sure. New York: Dial Press, 1983, p. 31.
13. Elkington J. The poisoned womb. London: Viking Press, 1985.
14. Briggs GG, Freeman RK, Yaffe SJ. Drugs in pregnancy and lactation, 2 nd ed. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1986.
15. Shepard TH. Catalog of teratogenic agents, 5th ed. John Hopkins University Press, 1986.
16. Koren G, Gladstone D, Robeson C, Robieux I. The perception of teratogenic risk of cocaine. Teratology 1992; 46: 567- 571.
17. Einarson A, Selby P, Koren G. Abrupt discontinuation of psychotic drugs during pregnancy: fear of teratogenic risk and impact of counseling. J Psychiatry Neurosci 2001;26:44-8.